Sunday, January 31, 2010


After reading the pew study about digital footprints and all the possible dangers that come from leaving a “dirty” footprint so to speak, I found it interesting that google has now decided to expand its search to include social networking information. In an attempt to “get more social” google will now allow people to search for their friends or family members through their search engine. By creating a google profile and linking your friends and family to your blog, twitter, or facebook page, you will now have access to them every time you search for something. While some may find this new tool useful, I find it a little silly. Personally, when I search for something whether it be travel information or research for a paper, I don’t want to be bombarded with my social circles most recent blog postings or new pictures. However, this may not be the case for everyone and this tool will allow google to become an even more connected search engine.

Google Searches Get More Social

2 comments:

ebach said...

I have an extension to your quote,"when I search for something whether it be travel information or research for a paper, I don’t want to be bombarded with my social circles most recent blog postings or new pictures." I agree completely. I don't want my social life to conflict or interfere with my personal life and/or academic life. These three circle are meant to be kept separate. The thought is obnoxious. If I'm trying to research a paper i don't want to see new photos. Not only is that distracting but completely beside the point.

Courtney Medford said...

Actually, I kind of like the fact you are able to create your own Google profile that will be available on a search engine. I remember Dr. Weisgerber's concern with "Strawberry Girl," when her picture was paired with her name. I think if you capture your "domain name" before others, you can have an advantage because you will be able to add professional information on the profile. Besides, these profiles only come up when you search for a certain name, it is just like a Facebook link or Twitter link popping up on the search engine.

If google is going to create these profiles, I would say to take full advantage of it before someone else with your name does!