Sunday, March 21, 2010

Non-Profit Challenges You to Ditch the iPhone for a Day


Yes, that’s right. The non profot organization Reboot is challenging you to turn off your iphone for a FULL 24 hours. An entire day without it!

“The National Day of Unplugging” has been criticized for disapproving of their own point by advertising on twitter and facebook. But we all know that these technologies help promote human interaction and when you want a piece of information shared quickly and efficiently, a facebook status update or tweet will probably do the trick. The article also states that this idea is spreading, and that other people and companies want to have their own kind of “unplugging” events. I think this type of idea has been a long time coming, but I don’t think its purpose is to void our lives of all social media. Rather, I think it is merely to raise awareness of the fact that some aspects of our face to face lives are being more and more replaced by interface. For the people that disagree, going a day without their iphone for a day would definitely test this.

I personally think that social media is a great source for communication. However, it can have negative effects for those who use hide behind technology. Young people who have grown up with social media might also be too accustomed to the technological driven society and not be as involved in face to face communication. But I don’t think we as a society are anywhere near getting completely rid of face to face communication just yet. This event though, does seem like a really good idea to raise awareness of this issue.

So, what do you think. Could you go a day without your iphone? )or whatever your phone of choice may be)

1 comment:

Sara Roberts said...

To answer your question, Yes. I think I could go without my Iphone for a whole day but, I definitely could not go without my computer during those twenty four hours. I am addicted to my Iphone not because of texting or calling but because it connects me to the online world. I need to check my email everyday and get a little panic attack if I cant check it for some reason. I find it sad that my world has come to relying on technology for communication but that is what our world has come to. I think this company has a great idea with this campaign but the question is will it actually work?