Sunday, February 28, 2010

podcasting



After being instructed on how to use Audacity and being introduced to the wonder that is podcasting, I must say that I might start downloading them regularly. I know that podcasting isn’t something new, but it was new to me. Podcasting is basically like having your own radio show in which you can talk about absolutely anything you’d like to. Maybe you’re really interested in medical terminology, or knitting, or anything else. Whatever it may be, you can now record yourself and share your knowledge with others.

I went ahead and ran a google search for the benefits of podcasting, and found a couple interesting things. According to socialmediatrader.com, the benefits of podcasting include:



  • Reach a new audience
  • Build a relationship with your listeners
  • Highlight your authority
  • Increase advertising potential
  • Respond to customer feedback

I think these benefits pertain to someone with an established, popular podcast with a large following. Nonetless, there are also benefits for beginners who just want to get their voices heard (literally). Just as blogging has given anyone the ability to become reporters, podcasting has enabled us to be radio talks show hosts.

2 comments:

Meghan Athnos said...

Podcasting was new to me too. Although I find the concept really interesting, I don't see myself subscribing to podcasts anytime soon. I'm such a visual person I have a hard time listening! But I definitely agree with you on the idea that they are a very important aspect of social media.

Michelle said...

Oh podcasting.. I love to listen to podcasts but I cant say the same about making one!! It was challenging until we switched over from Audacity to Garage Band(much easier program). I do think it is a great social media tool to get peoples voices heard. I was surprised how many podcasts there were and that you can get them on iTunes!